How do I use guides and the layout tool?
Structured content is so much easier to navigate. Before starting a project, try to imagine what you want the end result to look like. Ask yourself: What page size do I want to choose for my project? How do I want to structure my page? Answers to these questions will set you up for success and a beautifully structured visualization.
Tip: Layout settings are available in infographic, dashboard, report, and other template projects. Choose a template and repurpose it for a quick start.
Once in the editor, use Layout options (Show guides and Show layout) to arrange objects on the canvas.
To enable guides:
1. Click Layout in the bottom left corner of your editor.
2. Enable the Show guides option.
3. Move objects around the page to adjust their position with respect to each other.
Tip: Start adding objects from the top left section of the page. Use the first object to align all other objects.
To use the layout tool:
1. Click on Layout in the bottom left corner of your editor.
2. Switch on the Show guides option. You’ll see pink columns with lines appear on the canvas.
Tip: Use columns and lines to the group and align objects. Remember to always separate groups that are not related.
3. Use the Spacing slider to adjust white space on the sides of the page. Use the Number of columns slider to choose how many columns you wish to appear on the page.
Tip: A good rule of thumb is to work with twice as many columns as groups you have. For instance, if you plan on dividing the page into two blocks, use at least 4 columns (2 for each block). That way you can be more precise in arranging objects in each block, making sure they are evenly aligned and with equal margins.